5 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues
Winter in Minnesota is long and very cold, especially this year. Living in the tundra has it’s perks- skiing, iceskating, snow shoeing, beautiful snow- but this winter has been nothing short of glacial. We have been below zero on and off for a while- last week it felt like forever- and we are once again going to dip down into the single digits. It’s been a while since we have had temps in the upper 20’s or 30’s. When the cold sets in, I notice people around me, including myself, get a little somber and or impatient waiting for April. Here are a few things that I can’t live without in the winter because they totally beat the winter blues!
- Bubble baths. Alright gentleman, I know this may not be your cup of tea, but nothing beats a warm bubble bath. I highly recommend once a week settling into the warm waters of your tub with some healing epson salt, essential oils, and bubbles. My current favorite bubble bath recipe- 1/2 cup Epson Salt and a five second pour of Shea Moisture’s African Water Mint and Ginger Detox Bubble Bath. I love this product not only for the aroma and quality of bubbles, but it’s organic and cruelty free. There are so many awesome bubble bath recipes out there- best excuse to get in the tub is to try them all- like me! #goals. Here’s a few more.
- Making Travel Plans and or Traveling. Let’s face it- nothing makes for more excitement than the thought of traveling to a far away place and exploring the world. Planning a trip is proven to make anyone happier, even if you are not traveling to a warmer place. Sit down and look at flights, read up on place you want to go, and hopefully, book an adventure that you can look forward to and work hard to save up for during these chilly months. My husband and I are leaving for France this weekend!
- Hot Tea- In the winter I only drink tea. My husband and I go through a ton of it in our home. First- tea is good for you! Physically is provides the body with hydration and nutrients to fight things like cancer, second- energetically there are tons of herbs and or flavors that balance our energetic flow which helps us feel more grounded and calm mentally. If you need more reasons to like Tea- click here. I’m currently drinking Lemon Ginger by Yogi Tea– fantastic stuff.
- Around the House Projects. How long has it been since you cleaned out your closet or zenned out your cabinets? Small projects that tidy up your space make you feel good and accomplished. If you are looking for a bigger project- build something, paint something, do something to your space that you can look at and feel proud of your time.
- HOT YOGA! I saved the best for last. I seriously don’t know how I would live here with out it. I teach and or practice 3-5 times a week in rooms ranging from 90-110 degrees. Hot yoga has tons of health benefits and it feels so darn good to sweat when it’s subzero out there. There are a lot of studios around the twin cities that offer heated yoga. My favorite in January are 60 minute hot classes at Corepower Yoga. I frequent the Uptown and Highland Park location to sweat my face off and it feels so so good!
Hang in their friends! It’s a cold one this year and I’m feeling it already- yikes! But the good news, nothing lasts forever, I’m really going to try to make the most of these months. What do you do to keep away the winter blues? I would love to hear from you!
You want pictures that aren't like everyone else's. I'm a creative photographer that loves magical, vibrant, one-of-a-kind images.
Reach out to me now to get started.